Club11 takes immense care to meet the terms with all central and state legislation in India to make sure that our users are completely protected. Each contest on our platform is cautiously designed to comply with applicable statutes and regulations in India.
Below are the key points from an Indian High Court’s judgment specifically regarding Club11's game? A challenge to this judgment was also dismissed by the Supreme Court of India:
- The Court, in its ruling, affirmed that playing the Club11 game involves significant skill, judgment and discretion and that success on Club11 arises out of users’ exercise, better knowledge, judgment and attention
- The Court also held that ‘the element of skill’ had a major influence on the outcome of the Club11 game, which follows the following format:
- Participants have to select a team consisting of at least the similar no. of players as playing in a real-life sports team (e.g. 11 in cricket/football)
- Each and every contests run for at least the duration of one full sports match start.
- No team member’s changes are allowed by participants after sports match start.
On this basis, the Court adjudged that playing on Club11 constitutes a ‘game of skill’, which makes the Club11 game off the hook from the provisions of the Public Gambling Act, 1867 (PGA).
- Finally, the Court held that the Club11 is a legitimate business activity protected under Article 19(1)(g) of the Constitution of India.
You can find more information on the legality of Club11 and Fantasy Sports in India on the website of the Indian Federation of Sports Gaming (IFSG): www.ifsg.in. IFSG is India’s first and only self-regulatory Sports Gaming industry body formed to protect consumer interest and create standardized best practices in the Sports Gaming industry.